9 Fun Ways To Celebrate Your Dog's Birthday
Dog owners know we would be lost without our dogs. They shower us with unconditional love. They’re always excited to see us, even if we were only in the next room. If you're feeling down, they’re right there to cheer you up. Life would be pretty dull without their tail-wagging support. Sometimes it can seem like we’re taking our dogs for granted, but how can we let them know how much they mean to us?
Why not show them how special they are by making their birthday a reason to celebrate. Even if you aren’t sure of their exact birth date, you can pick a day to make it special and start a new tradition. Or, commemorate your dog coming into your life with a Gotcha Day celebration.
Need some ideas to help you get started? We’ve put together 9 simple ideas to make your dog’s birthday an event to remember. Keep reading to find out how to show your dog they really are your best friend in the whole wide world!
Fun Activities For The Birthday Pup
Celebrate another year with your dog by making some special memories. You don’t have to break the bank to give your dog the best birthday ever, you just need to get creative. These ideas aren’t just for birthdays or Gotcha Days; you can use them any day of the year to show your dog just how much you appreciate them!
1. Treasure hunt- This is especially good for very active dogs who love to sniff. This is a game that can be played inside or outside. Hide some treats in different areas in your house or yard. If this is new to your dog, hide some in plain sight and make sure they’re fairly potent. Show your dog one of the treats, and tell them to “find the treat.” Walk them around the room if they are uncertain of what they’re doing. This also makes a great rainy day game.
2. Have a pool day- If you have a water-loving dog with a summer birthday, make it a water day! You can get an inexpensive kiddie pool, and let your dog splash in the water; or play catch with your dog while you allow them to run through a sprinkler. Monitor your dog to make sure they don’t slip or injure themselves and be ready with the towels!
3. Find a fun, new dog park- If you have a social dog that loves to make new friends, step out of your normal routine and find a new dog park. Your dog can get in some socialization, and maybe show off a new birthday collar, and the two of you may find a new favorite place.
4. Take a hike- If you and your pooch are adventure lovers, why not make the day special by trying a new trail? Pack up some trail snacks and water, and enjoy the great outdoors. This may seem like a low-key celebration, but your dog will love getting to spend quality time with you.
5. Go to their favorite pet store- Take your dog out to their favorite neighborhood pet store. Let them sniff around and pick out a treat and a toy for themselves. After all, what’s a birthday without presents?
6. Try a playdate at an indoor dog park- Indoor dog parks are growing in popularity and are opening in more areas. If there’s a new one near you, plan a meet-up with some of your pooch’s pals and have a mini pup party in a temperature-controlled building designed for dogs. Some dog parks will even reserve time just for dog birthday parties and even include a doggie cake, so be sure to ask!
7. Make a cake- Speaking of cake, there are lots of dog-specific bakeries these days, especially if you live near a large city. If you don’t live near one, bake a dog-friendly cake or cookies on your own! Most dog-friendly recipes use only simple ingredients that you may already have in your pantry. Although dog baking recipes use ingredients that are also safe for people, you may want to get some human-friendly cake for yourself.
Pro-tip: For recipes that contain peanut butter, only use peanut butter that does not contain sugar or the ingredient xylitol as these are toxic to dogs.
Here are a few recipes to get you started:
Spoiled Dog Cake
Healthy Dog Sponge Cake
Pumpkin Dog Cake
8. Have a dog party in your own backyard- Invite some friends with pups your dog knows and gets along with over, and make your own dog park. You can DIY an easy agility course for the dogs to use, or set up game stations. Set out trays of dog treats and dog-safe veggies and fruit for the (canine) party guests. You can even have pup-friendly goody bags loaded with dog toys or treats. Remember to account for the size of the dog it’s intended for. Include poop bags as a party favor for the other dog parents to save yourself some clean-up.
9. Plan a spa day- You don’t have to book fancy treatments at the groomer to pamper your pooch. You can transform your bathroom into a fancy spa for your dog with some dog-safe bath bombs. You can also treat your dog to a party pack complete with something to wear, eat, and play with, making for the absolute best birthday day... ever!
The bath products from Fido Fizzies are made with a carefully designed blend of essential oils and natural ingredients that are soothing for the skin. Have a doggie spa day before your dog’s celebration to help them smell their best; or head to the spa after to help them relax from all of the excitement from their big day.
Treat your dog to a gift from Fido Fizzies anytime. We offer a selection of bath bombs, paw melts, and anxiety soothing essential oil blends to pamper your dog and make them feel like a million bucks. Don’t wait for their birthday or Gotcha Day to let them enjoy the luxurious feeling of a day at the spa.